Three Colors Trilogy -
Director Krzysztof Kieslowski's superb
cinematic representations of the three colors of the French flag, Blue
(1993, 98 mins.), White (1994, 92 mins.) and Red (1994,
99 mins.), are collected in an impressive 3-DVD box set. These equally
beautiful, somber, sexy and humorous explorations of liberty, equality
and fraternity have garnered numerous honors, including 3 Oscar and 4
Golden Globe nominations and a Best Actress Award from the Venice Film
Festival for Blue star Juliette Binoche.
Blue (1993, 98 mins.)
Juliette Binoche won the Cesar Award and the Venice Film Festival Award
as Best Actress for her role in the first film of Kieslowski's acclaimed
Three Colors trilogy. She plays a woman who becomes entangled in a mysterious
web of passion and lies after she digs into the past life of her recently
and unexpectedly deceased husband. In French with English subtitles.
White (1994, 92 mins.)
The second part of Kieslowski's trilogy is also the wittiest of the
three. Zbigniew Zamachowski stars as a Polish man whose life disintegrates
when his new French bride (Julie Delpy) deserts him after only six months.
Forced to begin anew, he returns to Poland and plans a clever scheme
of revenge against her. In French and Polish with English subtitles.
Red (1994, 99 mins.)
Kieslowski's striking conclusion of his trilogy stars Irene Jacob as
a model, separated from her lover, who is brought by accident into the
life of the aging Jean-Louis Trintignant, a retired judge and electronic
peeping Tom. As Jacob's character slowly uncovers her lover's secret
life, she discovers that her own past is inevitably linked to her destiny.
With Jean-Pierre Lorit and Frederique Feder. In French with English
- French and Polish with English subtitles
- Audio commentary with film scholar Annette Insdorf (in English)
- Selected scene commentary by Juliette Binoche the star of Blue,
Julie Delpy the star of White, & Irène Jacob the star of
- Producer Marin Karmitz interview with selected scenes and commentary
- Editor Jacques Witta interview and commentary
- A three-part discussion on director Krzysztof Kieslowski's films
- A three-part examination of the "Three Colors" trilogy
- Krzysztof Kieslowski's cinema lessons
- A discussion on working with Krzysztof Kieslowski
- Krzysztof Kieslowski student films
- Krzysztof Kieslowski filmography
- Number of discs: 3 (box set)
Roger Ebert's essay on this DVD Classic.
Director: Krzysztof Kieslowski
Language: French and Polish (with english subtitles)